Author Topic: Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth?  (Read 33386 times)

mccluredude

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth?
« on: July 09, 2002, 10:13:29 AM »
I'm wondering if any of you have opinions on home birth with a midwife  vs. hospital birth.

At first I was very reluctant to consider home birth, because I thought it wasn't as safe... now after reading some data that stated the contrary, I can see that we have a difficult decision to make.

I guess my concern is that hospitals are a big business, and aren't always looking out for the patient as well as they could. They tend to treat giving birth like an emergency procedure, to reduce expenses, and to cover thier butts in case of a lawsuit... which puts the experience of your birth at the mercy of their demands.

Anyone have opinions on this one?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2002, 10:14:18 AM by mccluredude »

simba

• grr
    • View Profile
Re: Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2002, 07:59:45 PM »
All of the studies I have seen show that home is just as safe hospital.  If you think you will be more comfortable at home it is a very good options... but never underestimate the pain of contractions.  An experienced midwife is always a  good idea if decide to go the home route.  Also, think out a plan for medical backup if complications arise.  At this point I think I'm leaning toward home.

Another alternative to the hospital is a birthing center.  I have heard good things about birthing centers. They have a  homelike atmosphere and relaxed attitudes that help make you feel safe. You get to bring your personal items,  music and, most important, any and all of your family members.

SuperMom

• Future to be mom :)
    • View Profile
Re: Home Birth vs. Hospital Birth?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2002, 07:35:23 AM »
I prefer hospital because of the health risks that giving birth can pose.
I rather live 1 day and be a lion than 1000 days and be a sheep!!!